Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Meg's First (Lost) Tooth




Megan's first tooth has been loose for about a month. I had no idea that it would hold on that long. This morning I noticed that I could see the new tooth making it's way in behind her baby tooth, so we took matters into our own hands to encourage the baby tooth out. We started with an apple at breakfast, that wiggled the tooth quite a bit and even brought a little pain and blood. Then, tonight after dinner we were doing a tooth check and knew this baby was on it's way out.
Again, it wanted to hold on to the very end and would wiggle and wiggle more, but just wouldn't give up. Tony became a little more aggressive and at times brought Megan to tears that were both a combination of pain, but I also think she was afraid of what might happen. Tony eventually pulled out the floss and made a little lasso so Megan could pull on it herself, until finally the floss worked it's way to the bottom and cut the piece of gum that was holding onto the tooth, rather than actually pulling the tooth out.
She didn't realize that the tooth was out at first (picture #3), but quickly changed from scared to excited and started jumping up and down. Now, we need to get a hold of our local tooth fairy. Unfortunately, the story is that our neighborhood tooth fairy gave Meg's classmate $20. I guess she didn't hear that we are in an economic downturn. In case you are wondering, our tooth fairy is only giving $1 per tooth.

More Pictures

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. So cute!
    Yes, you will learn that the going rate for the tooth fairy becomes the topic of conversation quite a bit between parents AND kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the 3rd picture with Megan making the big boo-boo lip! Who in their right mind gives $20 for a tooth? Was it a gold crown or something? Tell Megan we said congratulations!

    ReplyDelete